The New Home Warranty Program is already mandatory in two provinces in Canada – Alberta and BC, Effective January 1, 2020 The Government of Manitoba will enact a “New Home Warranty Act” which will protect the home owner from non qualified builders and “fly-by-night” contractors. Here are a few key points;
- 1-2-7 Warranty
- One year for defects in materials, labor and design
- Two years for defects violations of the Manitoba Building Code and defects to electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation and air conditioning, exterior cladding, caulking, windows, doors, and building envelope, including defects resulting in water penetration.
- Seven years for major structural components
- Homes are covered up to $100000 per unit
- Home builders in Manitoba will need to register with Government. Once registered, the builder needs to have a warranty provider commit to providing a home warranty prior to being issued a building permit.
- Builder have their choice of warranty providers
- It will be possible to build your own home and not have to arrange for home warranty coverage. However, owner-builders will have to arrange for home warranty on their homes should they wish to sell it to another family or individual.
We are a member of the Progressive Home Warranty Group. For more information feel free to contact our office or visit http://www.progwar.com/